Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advocating for change

MayaBird07
Peer Guide

Re: Head of "Mental Health Australia" Resigns Over Govt. Inaction On Mental Health

I just googled the Bureau of Statistics and it advises that 42.9% of Aussies from the age of 16 to 85 have had a mental health disorder at sometime in their lives. 

With almost half the population having mental health concerns, you would think that the government would take more notice. 

I've experienced the way mental health is treated at a community level and there is no room for Mental illness in emergency situations. The Ambulance is not skilled to attend mental health emergencies and the Emergency Departments do not have the 'space' to care for someone with mental problems. That is apparent with the eye rolls and frustrated sighs when they are busy with life threatening emergencies. 

It was wonderful during covid that you could get 20 sessions and it is sickening that the government reduced it back down to 10. Mental health is not something that can be sorted in 10 sessions, especially when you are looking at things like trauma. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Head of "Mental Health Australia" Resigns Over Govt. Inaction On Mental Health

Hey @MayaBird07, I can definitely relate to what you're saying. I won't go into detail about what happened when I went to the ED (as a very last resort because my life was in danger due to mental illness), but it was absolutely horrific. I wish I'd never, ever gone there. I'm sorry you have experience with that system, too. It's nowhere near good enough.

I completely agree that ten sessions is insufficient. I almost feel lucky to have an eating disorder that's ruining my life and destroying my body... because it means I can access more therapy sessions. But the journey to arriving at this point, to getting an Eating Disorder Plan and being diagnosed, was not easy at all. Not everyone will be lucky/fortunate the way I was. It almost seems like a process designed to dissuade people from getting help.

Unfortunately, I think Australians have settled for insufficient mental health care over years and years. The bar is way too low. More money needs to be invested in mental health, but money also needs to be spent better and differently. Cuz clearly, the current approaches aren't working well enough.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us