Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Sapphire2
Senior Contributor

Crisis Survival

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on the forum for a while. Just started DBT group again and I have been having repetitive traumatic memories.

So I have been using my mindfulness skills in meditation. I am discussing with my doctor tomorrow about these memories. I am just wondering if anyone else has these issues with memories? I know that I need to talk to my psychologist and psychiatrist.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Crisis Survival

Hey @Sapphire2,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the community here on the Forums!

It's great that you have started DBT group again and you are being connected with other people.

Mindfulness can be great, and I encourage you to use it if you find it beneficial. I hope it goes well with your doctor tomorrow when you talk about your memories.

Take care

RiverSeal 

Hello @Sapphire2 it's hard if and when traumatic memories bubble up. It can put us off balance. 

In my experience it's good to up the self-care and routines before it escalates. I try to reprocess and reframe where I can. But the ongoing often submerged fear can colour our ongoing interactions.

I've started EMDR which is demanding, difficult and draining. It's a big investment of time and effort, but not so bad financially as mine is subsidised. 

Part of the reframing is inclusivity - we are who are with all our experiences, not despite them or blocking/excluding them, and we choose to move forward with that acceptance. 

I don't mean to preach, just reflecting on where I am at present and sharing that.

I love your line "we are who we are". My diagnoses make me who I am. Sure I need to work  on some diagnoses, but that too is who I am. I don't know where I'm going with these thoughts...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us