Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: How to sooth ourselves

Hope you had a good day today @Meowmy, did you end up getting a chance to read and listen to some music? 

Those are great activities @Owlunar. Singing at home is so freeing, isn't it? Do you dance while you sing as well? 

Hi @Ali11 

Sometimes I dance - or try to - it's good exercise - but I like to sing in the bathroom - in the shower of course - it sounds really great to hear my voice coming back to me

I have a great memory - I was in Sydney a couple of years ago - it was a glorious day and I had been out on Sydney Harbour and was walking through Circular Quay and there were two buskers singing a song I love and I went up and joined in - and yes - I sang for many years in a choir. I sang two songs with them and they wanted me to stay but I moved on

I guess I would not have done this in Melbourne but interstate where it was unlikely anyone knew me - yes - I went right ahead and have a fabulous memory - and tonight I am sharing it

Dec

The shower is the best place to sing @Owlunar, you can really let those notes soar Smiley Very Happy Do you have favourite songs you sing often?

That experience in Sydney sounds empowering! How did it feel to sing in front of the crowd like that, have you missed it after no longer being in the choir? It's funny how that freedom to be ourselves often happens when we're not in our own city, it's almost like we're wired to worry that someone we know will see us and judge us, but in a strange city we don't care. So glad you had that moment with those buskers, that's an awesome story!

@Owlunar @greenpea @jay2 @kingrazza I am beginning to find walking soothing. I get the feeling regular walking will be more soothing. 

@Meowmy  Hi Meowmy I find the more walking I do the calmer I become. My son2 as well needs to stretch out his long legs with a walk and is much better for it. I am so happy that you are enjoying your walking. greenpea :)xxxx

@greenpea @Owlunar @kingrazza @jay2  I am finding walking soothing at the beach and coffee after. The forum is great comfort. I also find it meaningful when I can help others.

Hope to find swimming soothing in the afternoon.

Hi @Ali11 

I really like singing and I have a good voice - so yes - I miss the choir and had a wonderful time singing with the buskers in Syndey

Just going along with my idea and singing with the buskers in Sydney was one thing - in Melbourne - well - it's not the open space Circular Quay is - the city square is crowded and busy and noisy - it would not have been the same at all - anyone could join in I guess and no one would notice - so it's not something likely to happen in my own city

But in Sydney - on that beautiful winter day - near the Harbour with a huge cruise ship near by and the crowds of people further away than they would be in Melbourne

Wow - a memory I will keep and turn over in my mind for the rest of my life

Dec

I find walking soothing too @Meowmy  - I have long legs too and I have to put them somewhere and walking is perfect

I had a week in Lakes Entrance a short time ago and walked along the lake all the time - it's easier walking on the sand with my crook knee which is getting better - I walked several kilometers every day while I was there - brought bread and fed the seagulls - talked to the other tourists and sat on the sea wall and thought my thoughts - whatever they were

In the last few years I have been in several cities on the East Coast - as far north as Cairns and as far South as Hobart - and I have walked a long way every time but Lakes Entrance is my favourite place - definitely a soothing place

I hope your swimming is soothing too - do you swim laps or just enjoy yourself in the water?

Dec

@Owlunar Thanks for post. Your walks sound so soothing. It is hard for me to get away these days with mum having needs of company.

I think I just concentrate on recovering, writing on the forum and start my journal.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us