Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Don't it feel so good to have got a few garden jobs done @Smc  😁

It does, @Former-Member. 🙂 It's a big job, but the results at the end of each effort are visible. 🙂

I've now gotten the weeds out next to a shed, and I'll be putting a timber stack there, raised up on some besser blocks to keep it well off the ground. That will also give me a neat and tidy contained area to store some of my flowerpots. I have a lot of those... too many. So I might even see if the ones I really want to use will fit into that area and give the others away. (Maybe plus a few extras to use for plants I'm giving away, so that I can hang onto the ones I prefer.)

Plastic flowerpots accumulate all too easily. The lady who we bought this house off was collecting pots with the intention of selling plants, and left her stash here for us to use. I gave away a lot before we came here, but kept a stash of my preferred ones. And I was selling plants for a while, so I accumulated more for that... and Mum used to sell plants, so there's a big stockpile of pots at their house too. But the "good news" is that they're one of those things that disappear really fast if you put them out at the front fence along with posting a "come and get them!" on a local facebook page. 😛

I will most definitely be keeping all my lovely terracotta pots.

terracotta-clay-pots.jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

109581854_319570539431878_5946152416984872734_o.jpg

Hi @Fuzz 

Come and meet some fellow gardeners.

@Smc  love terracotta pots 

95875217_3105960202758794_3719894105895993344_n.jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

Had a productive session in the kitchen garden today planting out seeds and seedlings in the onion and cabbage families. 

Am loving the square foot gardening method but realise I have a bit to learn as to creating diversity in the beds, as there were 2 cabbages and caulis in each section of a 6 punnet I did end up with a few more plants than expected. 

Did a bit more tidying up in the yard. Did not take long to almost full our green bin. 

Took some friends out to show them our garden beds only to see one or both of our hounds had jumped up onto our raised bed and disgraced themselves with two unwanted deposits on our onion seedlings 😵😵😵

@Former-Member, I've got one spot in the garden that's sporting very clearly demarked wallaby footprints. 😛 They regularly leave other "calling cards" too, but wallaby poo is a safer fertiliser than dog, so I just watch where I step....

@Cilla 

Would love to hear how your veg patch is coming along.

Caught up with a friend at a garden centre this week and we both got some seedlings (taking advantage of the  5 for the price of 4). I came home with 2 punnets of ranunculus (potted up until I know what colour they are) and a punnet of cornflowers (planted in cottage garden).  

Managed to get a few more unwanted plants dug up in readiness for collection by someone who can use them.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us