Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Going public with my story of psychosis - addressing the stigma

I suffer from something called pseudo hallucinations. These are psychosis moments when I am very stressed. I see visually characters come into my life. Unfortunately they are horror characters because they are bought on by stress I have four chAracters. I call them characters becUse I know they are not real. I'm not schizophrenic although I know what these characters look like and most Importantly their presence is real so sometimes I feel they are grabbing me or staring at me which makes me run or jump. My first character appeared when I was in grade 6 when I started getting bullied. My parents did nothing about it. Did
Not take me to see a profeasional to seek help. They just thought I was making it up. THey would ask why I would always run down the hallway of the house. I always said because tbere is a man up there. I wasn't officially diagnosed until a few months ago. I am 39 now and have been suffering from this since grade 6. I also have borderline personality disorder. Bianca.

Thanks, Bee, for telling your experiences.

It sounds like some rough seas you've come through.

From my view, I see people going through hell.  Mostly I just guess about them but it explains a lot.

It took until I was past 40 for a therapist to suggest that I had depression.  I'm up to, umm, 2 or 3 diagnoses now.

If I can make half a dozen I'll win a free set of steak knives.

My family have not been helpful, probably they just didn't know what to do.  Not many people know, or want to know, about mental illness.

I hope you find support here, and feel valued.  Your MI is real and you deserve any help you can get.

Take care.

Thanks so much I have lived thru hell I can no longer work. I used to be a primary teacher but now deemed unfit to teach. I have to live a stress free life because of these characters I've completed 6 years of uni and now I'm on a disability pension. My life has just crashed. I can't handle things anymore

@Beebianca1977,

That sounds so full-on and tough to live with - my heart goes out to you. I can imagine it's also challenging not being in a position to work. I hope you can get some good help and advice - this forum is a great place to start. Sending big hugs.

Hi @Kate84 - it is great that you are writing an article about mental illness and stuff 🙂 I think more people need to be aware of what it is really like to be unwell in our way. I myself used to have a website and a book about my life and stuff..i took the book down because i am too afraid of people reading it. but anyways, be brave ok 🙂

Thanks @soppykat, appreciate your response.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us