Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Kate84
Casual Contributor

Going public with my story of psychosis - addressing the stigma

Hi all,

I experienced two psychotic episodes in my twenties (almost ten years ago), and have kept the experience fairly well hidden from most people in my life, apart from very close family and friends. I've decided that I now want to share the experience, with my name attached, and have written an article that I'm hoping to publish on a website for a wide audience. I'd like to do my bit to say that it's okay to experience psychosis and we need to challenge stereotypes of what a 'mad' or 'crazy' person looks like.

Has anyone had any success or challenges in doing this? Have you suffered repurcussions that you weren't expecting? And if you have any advice on media/online channels that would be worth pursuing, please let me know. The article is currently 7000 words long (yes-  yikes!) - but I think trying to abbreviate it too much would weaken the message.

Thank you!!!

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Going public with my story of psychosis - addressing the stigma

Hey @Kate84,

Hi dear lovely Kate, there is a lot of stigma to do with mental illness.  My dear beloved father who suffers from schizo-affective disorder aka schizophrenia and manic depression told me that people suffering from a mental illness are still regarded as the social leper of the 21'st century.

My family and close friends know about my mental health issues, but I have been told by the church elders to be discreet and not tell the neighbours or others.  As it says in the Bible, 'discretion preserves you', and ' only a fool rushes in and tells everything'.  

I do feel though however to dispel and debunk the myths surrounding mental illness, that we have to talk openly about it more.  Sadly some of us are tarred with the same brush, and sadly a few bad schizophrenics can give the rest of us (good) schizophrenics a bad name.  

Furthermore, the media is guilty of perpetuating some myths regarding schizophrenics and violence. My father remarked to me that only about 2% of schizophrenics commit murder.  However when you watch programs like CSI and NCIS American police and other detective or police shows, they often depict or portray the schizophrenic sadly as a psychotic serial killer and this is falsehood. This really is distressing to see as myself and other friends I know suffering from schizophrenia are gentle and good living Christians and they would not dream of hurting anyone.  So sadly it is a bad few that give the rest of us a bad name.

My dear cherished Deacon friend remarked to me that some people regard the mentally ill as of lesser value, but the good news is that Jesus doesn't.  In fact I attended the Christian Healing Rooms locally and Beloved Jesus gave some words of knowledge and a Rhema word to the church elders there to tell me.  Yes, even Jesus can give a word to a lowly humble schizophrenic like me lol.  Dear Lord, help me spread your fragrance wherever I may go!. 

There are many people of course who show love and compassion to those suffering a mental illness too though. The good news is that Jesus said ' Don't judge others'. And He taught us to love and accept everyone worts and all. God calls us all His children and loves us all with an everlastic love.  He is the perfect father and it says in scripture ' man judges man for his physical appearance but God judges the heart.  Having good morals and values means more to God than superficial looks or money or material things.  Below is the Word of God/ knowledge that Beloved gave the church elder at the Healing Rooms to tell me.  It is typed up on the board with the other healing testimonies and miracles.  Yes, Beloved Jesus can and should give a blessed word to a schizophrenic too and praise God for this.    

poof.jpg 

Hi @Kate84. Welcome to the forums. I think that one of the best ways we can fight stigma is to tell our own stories. Of course, there can be some challenges attached to that. I don’t really have any answers for you, but here are some things to consider:

- make sure you get paid -
You’ve put a lot of work into writing your story. There are websites that exploit writers (particularly writers with a mental illness and/or disability) by publishing their stories without paying them. This perpetuates the idea that writing is not work. (Writing is most definitely work.) It also perpetuates the idea that stories about mental illness/disability have no value.

- the length -
Online is a bit more flexible but 7000 words is still incredibly long. There aren’t many places that publish stories over 5000 words and most places are less than 2000 words. Given the length, I’m not sure where to suggest you pitch this piece. Perhaps try googling ‘longform essays’.

- your piece may be edited -
You should be given the opportunity to review these edits and/or you may be asked to make edits yourself, but be prepared.

- publishing under your own name -
You mentioned that your very close family and friends know, but suddenly many more people in your life will be aware and you need to be prepared for how they may react.

Discrimination is a very real risk. If your current employer doesn’t know about your condition, it may prove problematic. (It may also be fine, but it’s hard to tell.)

The internet is forever. Your name will always be linked to this story of mental illness and that may impact decisions made by potential future employers.

- beware the trolls -
Publishing online opens you up to attack from trolls, which can be scary and upsetting. Also, when publishing under your own name it may not stay confined to the website where the story is published.

I hope this doesn’t put you off. It is so important to share our stories, but we need to look after ourselves as well.

I wish you the best of luck,

bookish

Thanks @BambiFawn for your reply. I appreciate it.

Hi @Former-Member,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response - this is really helpful. I have thought about a few of these things, but it's really useful to have someone else write them all down in black and white.

Using my name or not is definitely the toughest call to make - and I think I'm at ease with the fact that it may harm future job prospects. If someone doesn't want to hire me on the basis of my mental health, then I wouldn't want to work with them anyway. But yes - the internet really is forever... Some of us just have the be the trail-blazers.

Thanks so much for your post.

Dear lovely @Kate84,
I think it is really brave of you and being open about an experience with having had a mental illness and sharing it is one step in the right direction in dispelling the myths surrounding a mental illness and healing the stigma.
Once people see that ordinary normal people from all walks of life that can get sick with mental illness, I think people will accept it more lol.
Take good care. God bless you.

I’m glad it helped @Kate84. I'm hoping to take the plunge myself at some point … perhaps when I’m in a bit better headspace. (I don't cope with attention at the best of times.)

dear @Kate84,
I have my own blog where I write about my life and it is good fun.

@Kate84,

Great to hear you have written your story. If people like yourself do not come forward and share their experiences then the wall of stigma will never be removed. You should be proud of yourself. I hope it is well received and there aren't too many heartless trolls to ruin the message your trying to get across.

Stand tall and be counted. People with a lived experience such as your own are an important voice in raising awareness and reducing stigma. Let us know online when you publish. Would like to have a read.

Vanessa5

@Vanessa5,

Thanks for your response - it's very encouraging. I appreciate it, and I'll definitely let you know when it's published 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us