Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Zoe7
Community Guide

Re: HOME

We made the decision primarily for support when my pdoc and GP are away at the same time and also to help with going back to work @utopia We are not going to delve into the past too much but she has made it very clear that our sessions will be guided by me and what I need. I don't want to go back to where we were because that was way too much for me to deal with - so I will be concetrating on moving forward from here and dealing with things as they come up. I certainly have a lot to deal with in respect to work when I see her next week.

utopia
Senior Contributor

That's a great plan on w9rking with your psychologist - talking about NOW stuff,  when it comes up

Just dropping in to say "hi" @utopia,

that at was really brave of you to finish up with your psychologist. How are you feeling now?

I have had many good mini-breakthroughs this year and they all occurred without the help of a psychologist. That is where I am at. But if I thought that I needed to see someone, then I would definitely go running straight back!

In fact, I have not seen a therapist for more than 4 yeas now. Time has gone so quickly. I just check in with my G.P if I want to talk about anything.  

utopia
Senior Contributor

Hi @Sahara. It hasn't been long enough without a psychologist , for me to really feel anything yet. 

It was the right decision though.  After 2 and a half years , we were going nowhere. 

Good to hear you have "aha" moments this year.  They are great when you get them.  Can really empower you. 

• I second @Sahara's experience. Most of my insight and ah-ha moments happened aways from psychologists and psychiatrists. Most came from people doing family therapy.  Which was rare and only a few times per year.
  • Just sending supportive vibes. @utopia
  • I had a friendly receptionist talking to me and wondering why I went to the psychologist in her office (nicely) but it was just having the structure of visiting regularly someone who knew I was alive ... they did not have to care that much to a be a bit of help.

utopia
Senior Contributor

@Appleblossom. Yes I always had my "aha" moments with my psychologist. Just havent had one for a long time.In the new year I might look for a new psychologist. But amazingly, I'm feeling alright at the moment.

Maybe that is why you were more respectful about the profession. @utopia I was getting pretty grumpy with the lack of interesting or relevant tips or basic moral support for me in my struggles, but the money was going into the bank accounts, whether it was from my account or the govt, did not matter, it added up over the years. I was feeling very short changed when I joined the forum.

Smiley SadSmiley MadSmiley Surprised

I am learning to raise my expectations of others and lowering the pressure on me.

Smiley Happy

utopia
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear you are raising your expectations @Appleblossom. Only be doing so,  will we hold others accountable as well. 

I have had 3 great psychologists in a row,  including my last one.  We worked well initially.  I don't know if it's me,  but we just haven't been clicking for a long time now.  And I'm no longer getting anything at all from the sessions.  It's a long way to go to get nothing. 

Thanks @utopia

At first I was far too desperate to have expectations.  However I also had substantial studies in relevant areas.  

Maybe it is part of accountability that the industry needs.  It is not that regulated and often we dont know what happens behind closed doors.  

Trusting your own instinct is also a good strategy. Smiley Happy  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us