Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Whiteknight
Senior Contributor

Worry and its ramifications

As a son of a chronic worrier (mt mother and likely had BPD)  I grew up with a frown on my forehead and nicknamed the "worrier" by a high school teacher. I had a diabetic brother and living in the 60's as children my parents worried over him having episodes that they needed to give him jam to respond. That was one reason why we all end up worrying.

Following therapy in the 1980's and being introduced into relaxation I realised that worry was very non productive. It will produce ulcers and it might make you more punctual but serious benefits are just not there. In fact on the other end of the see-saw is some serious ramifications.

As with many issues like worry, it's easier said than done to face the challenge of righting the leaning ship. Some of the methods I've used to overcome worry are

• Talking to others about what is worrying you including family, friends and your GP
  • Processing the topic in a logic manner
  • Discounting sections of what you are worrying about that are made up from your imagination
  • Visit your GP to discuss it and allow a review of medication or receive referals
  • Change your environment
  • Distract yourself with hobbies and sports or friends company
  • Trick your mind into quelling worry. "I'm not going to worry about that"

Take finances. There is a hollow feeling everytime you run out of money. Bills arrive that are unexpected and so on. This used to worry me.

My wife of 7 years  decided to revamp our budget. Include direct debit for some bills (not Telco!! as they make things complex when you have a dispute) and use our mobile phones for reminders. She has also kindly taken over finances so I no longer worry. Every fortnight on pension day she does the bills and I ask "all ok"..."yep, fine" she answers. Well how can one worry when its like that all the time.

My worry on finances stemmed not only from family worry traits but impulsivity as a young man buying and selling cars at a loss continually (mania, bit of ADHD etc). Finance company red letters etc.  Things are great now but such inground worry has to be addressed. That is one way of tackling it.

In summary "worry" adds burden to the mentally ill. Whatever your worry remember it doesnt assist your well being to occupy space in your mind doing so. If its in your nature then it isnt a case of eliminating worry but reducing it to a level that allows you to enjoy life more.

Quote from Erma Bombeck

"Worry is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere"

WK

1 REPLY 1

Re: Worry and its ramifications

@Whiteknight 

Hello White.

Great to make your aquaintence.

Worry has been a huge problem for me as well. I don't have the mania thing going on with the buying stuff and red bills. Worry for me is thoughts going round and round in a decreasing spiral of pain. For me I have learnt about rumination (the serious end of the worry scale) dealing with serious issues for which I was hospitalised. I have found and successfully used different therapies including;

- CBT Cognitive behavioural therapy

- ACT Acceptance comitment therapy

- The practice of mindfulness.

These therapies have been of significant help to me learning  about  living with and understanding worry (rumination). Ask your GP, Psychiatrist or Psychologist about these. I have had help with private hospital outpatient groups. I believe there are groups available with mental health services.

Writermelb

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us