Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

It's EASIER SAID than DONE!

I am sorry for comprising two of the last three posts, but I have to point this out, because I think this applies to a lot of situations people go through.

I wrote a post asking for advice on how to deal with the fear of running into your ex. Most of the comments were supportive and useful, but I got one today that while I understand it's not malicious, just [...] me off because of how extensive the idea was.

Ask yourself what's the very worst that can happen? Put your fear into perspective-and don't avoid places that she goes to. The more you avoid these places, the more that you will fuel your fear. You sound like you are majorly overthinking this issue and caring about running into your ex way more than you should. Take her off of your mental pedestal and think of her as a stranger that you were close to at some point.

It's easy to say that you can think of her as a stranger, but that's not the reality. It's such a blanket approach. No matter what happens, it's not a problem.

What do you mean "what's the worst that could happen?"

The worst that could happen is that I would see my ex and her partner together. My heart could explode and I could become suicidal. It would open up an old wound within me. 

I don't really trust my ex to be nice about it either. I found out that my ex was engaged on Valentine's Day. I noticed her ring. I didn't say anything, but it was obvious that I noticed it, she could tell that something was wrong.

She started showing people her ring, knowing I was standing right there. She was deliberately rubbing it in... and she wasn't getting engaged to any guy, she was getting engaged to a guy I knew, that cheated on his wife to be with her.

I technically survived, but that's how much it can hurt. That kind of [...] is the worst that can happen.

It's similar to these types of quotes.

Worry is a total waste of time. It doesn't change anything. It just steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing nothing.

Thanks?

Acknowledging that worrying is a waste of time doesn't change anything either, because it's easier said than done to stop it.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: It's EASIER SAID than DONE!

Hey @Former-Member. I can hear how painful your emotions are about running into your ex. Fear can be really intense when there has been emotional hurt. We hope you're able to connect with some of the things that do support you with these emotions. Whether that be validation of your pain, strategies to get through, or just processing what you need. The nature of online communication means there is no social or verbal cues and which can make us see things differently compared to if we were in person. We're here for you @Former-Member.

@Former-Member 

hey flo... one of the reasons I don't really comment on the posts you make about your ex, is that I really don't get it. Not for one minute would I want to detract from your profound feelings just because I don't understand them, so I try not to get involved.

I am very resilient and I'm grateful for that. I see it as a gift from the universe (God?) not something I can take any credit for. "Moving on" could be my middle name' it's what enables me to stay with my bipolar partner.

I know not everyone is like me. I will still sometimes find Mr S in floods of tears because his wife left him 15 years ago. It doesn't mean he doesn't now love me, but the trauma of that breakup is still raw in his heart after all that time. I don't get it, but I don't criticise it simply because I don't understand it.

When I'm afraid of something I do employ the "what's the worst that could happen" technique. I had PND after both my children were born and it induced panic attacks. Even on meds. Asking myself that question, I got a mobile phone (very early 90's) so that I would never be out of touch with people who cared, and took a bucket in the car with me in case I needed to throw up, and I started going out again.

However, we are all different. I'm also sure that the advice you have been given came from a place of encouragement and was not meant to belittle your problems.

I'm not offering advice because I have none to give that I think would be of any benefit, but I do want you to know that I read all your posts and offer support.

S x

Yeah, I'd see that to me, the post looks likes a kind of common misunderstanding around exposure therapy.

It's supposed to a very careful re-wiring purpose. Rather than a "boot-camp" sort of process.

Yes. The best way to learn something is to do it, but, if it ain't done right, it'll teach the wrong lesson.

A lot of people, would of actually recomended the opposite. Maybe it is worth devoting some visualisation to the more positive or neutral outcomes. Balance it out and then take a little step back (that sort of thing).

Also, a common misunderstanding about nervousness. I'd venture to say, as a rule, never ever ever directly tell a neurotic person that they are "over-thinking". Every time someone does that to me. I'm zap poof bang. I'm a rocket. I'm gone. They'll never catch me. Tried to drag me back to Earth but kicked away my anchor (that sort of thing).

It's very hard dealing with those powerful emotions @Former-Member , but you have to deal with them otherwise you will start to burn bridges.

There is only one women on this planet that has given me those thoughts and that is my mother. It was frightening the speed with which they came on, really scary. But I have never experienced them from heart-break, only her, and I took my docs advice and admitted myself to hospital 3 times in 1 year for over 4 months.

1. because they scared the crap out of me, and

2. because I would feel like a supreme failure to end up like my father. I hate the man. I hate them both. A mother isn't worth it and a lover; absolutely no way. My soul-sibs need me, and so do the kids.

The way I would tackle your emotions if I was in your position @Former-Member ( and I have been, just not for heart-break), is that instead of asking myself,

"what would happen if I run into my ex? (because its Murphy's law that we will be triggered one day if not in real life, but probably in digital life)",

ask yourself why does rejection and the end of love take my mind there, and then get treatment. I would lessen my time online too. Because you create a false reality. You delude yourself that you're dealing with the hard stuff, but really you're just screaming at a brick wall with no reciprocation. You need to be validated in real life, way way more than online.

It is a slow and arduous process, like walking through fire, but it can be done, you just can't do it on your own. You need some long term therapy for symptoms such as these. None of us can escape emotions, they will follow us around the world and up to Mars,

Best, Corny

Awesome reply thank you
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us