Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Aniela
Community Guide

Nervous about male client with Schizophrenia. SEEKING INFORMATION/EXPERIENCE OF CONDITION

First of all, I feel like a really bad person writing this. I know I have felt stigma around my illnesses.

I am a disability worker, and I also have a psychiatric disability/disabilities. (Lived exprience) I have just found out one of my clients is a male who experiences schizophrenia. I'm really really nervous about this, because my job is to drive him around in my car. I just have this ongoing image of him having a hallucination and causing us to crash. I'm really nervous and scared. 

Am I completely overreacting? I know I don't know much about this illness. It's basically one of the only diagnosis I haven't had experience with. 

Please any ideas. If you have an experience of schizophrenia please educate me. I literally am just information seeking. I'm admitting I'm completely ignorant here. Please point me in some direction.

Thanks in advance 

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Nervous about male client with Schizophrenia. SEEKING INFORMATION/EXPERIENCE OF CONDITION

@Aniela 

I am really sorry you have been put in this position and it shows some of the poverty of trainings around MH, and thus, the service delivery 

Without knowing you or the human you are supposed to help, but having had a lot of experience over the years with different people with schizophrenia ... here are some ideas:

Dont worry too much, anxiety fuels anxiety, and def talk with a supervisor...

In the sense that if the person is actively psychotic ...and you should be able to tell that ... it may not be the wisest to have them in the front seat, but many people have that diagnosis and experience a range of mental states in daily life, from quite calm and capable of driving themselves ... it all depends on the individual.  Maybe back seat might be better, until you get to know them better.  Ask them if they feel safe or are in the midst of struggling with hallucinations and what type of hallucinations they typically experience.... it should give you some idea.

Re: Nervous about male client with Schizophrenia. SEEKING INFORMATION/EXPERIENCE OF CONDITION

Hmmmm. I'm wondering how much of this is the relational chemistry. Sometimes it's as much about different people as it is different conditions. I'm also wondering what this client felt like before the diagnosis was communicated and whether it was a surprise.

Hey @Aniela 

I have been in this position before and to be honest, from my experience, you can get a sense of how the person is feeling fairly quickly by how reactive they are too simple questions such as "how are you feeling today?" and just talking about things present such as the weather, interesting things around you etc. Facial expressions and body language will give you indicators as well if they are having internal conversations. 

However, can I point out the ABC episode of you can't ask that as a simple reference point?

https://iview.abc.net.au/video/LE1717H006S00

I haven't met this person yet. Just got told about him.

Are you generally aware you're having hallucinations? And wouldn't it feel like a rejection if I asked them to sit in the back seat of the car? And make them more aggitated?

Why why why why is this condition so misunderstood 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I watched the episode, thank you very much for that.

@Aniela wrote:

Can you educate me?

Not tonight sorry, I'm in a very dark headspace. Thank you for asking @Aniela 

Sorry if I upset you

Hi @Aniela I think it's really resourceful of you to come here to SANE to ask this question. To me this shows how much you care in seeking info from people with more experience. I see you as conscientious to seek to be better prepared for your professional service to this client.

I'd like to tag @greenpea who has a lot of experience with schizophrenia. 

I am mates with one man who has schizo-affective disorder. I believe this is a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar. He is truly a darling in so many ways, a great hugger! I am not close to him but see him semi-regularly at a community event. We often talk about mental health matters (I am diagnosed bipolar). We are both at these events because we love writing.

As another member said earlier, it really depends a lot on the individual, who they are aside from their diagnosis.

Perhaps there's someone at your workplace, a more experienced person, who could give you some ideas of care strategies when people are in different states of mind, asking for skill sharing in that way, from fellow support workers, or a supervisor, for example.

It seems to me that your workplace should have some kind of duty of care for your safety and it would be valid to seek more information and guidance.

Well wishes.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us