Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lilaca
Senior Contributor

Tourette Syndrome + "possessed" rage + benefits of sports

Hi all, 

I just wish to share this news article about 2 young kids with Tourette syndrome taming their uncontrolled rage with high energy sports.

https://7news.com.au/spotlight/i-turn-into-a-different-person-the-violent-side-of-tourette-syndrome-...

Notice in the video at 4:48, the young boy described as if he was possessed the moment before the he became violence. 

Has anyone had this experience of having someone/something else taken control of your body? It sure sounds like a case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

Please share.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Tourette Syndrome + "possessed" rage + benefits of sports

I found his description of it being like.... he goes to the back of his head and is taken over by someone coming to the front of his head.... interesting ... resonates for me.

@Lilaca 

@Appleblossom 

Thank you for your comment.

In the ancient past, mental illness used to be referred to as demonic possession. It's definitely interesting this young boy described it in such a way that seemed as if he was temporarily possesed by another "being".

I took his comment in another way.  I tend to avoid anything sensationalised about mental illness cos I have seen so much at close quarters, and had to sift through reams of spiritual and religious material.

@Lilaca 

I took it that he was dissociating in the split second Cameron 2 took over, and that in the neuroscience of it, the cerebellum looks after a lot of Tourette symptoms, also frontal lobe is supposedly where rational thought and voluntary control takes place ...neuroscience is complicated ... still I am wary of possession talk..

@Lilaca  Hi Lilaca and yes when I lose it it feels like I am being possessed. I cannot control it.  I have bipolar I but have also been diagnosed with schitzoaffece disorder.

I do get possessed. But, at the same time I'm usually still integrated when in happens. I'm at the back watching in horror but I'm also at the front doing it deliberately. And I feel both at the same time. I'll be honest. I don't like it. But I don't think it's fun for anyone either way.

Having said that, I'm a huge fan of catharsis. You could say that's the modern version of an excorcism. Also something that you watch and do simultaneously but 1,000,000% healthier.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us