Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

destructive
Senior Contributor

Want to give up

I am feeling lost and struggling to keep going

I had therapy and it was too much. Sometimes she pushes me and it's too much and I don't know what happened but know I left amd ended up

somewhere in my car and haven't felt right since. I think this is the first person who might actually be in it for the long haul but sometimes it's too much and I just can't cope. I feel worse and I don't think I can survive this so am thinking what's the point. What's the point with therapy, what's to point with life. I need help and don't I wow here else to go but here 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Want to give up

Hi @destructive ,

Sounds like a really overwhelming day. I really appreciate that you reached out to us here  and are looking for support. Please also reach out to our Help centre, The Suicide Call Back Service  or Lifeline if you need more immediate support. I have sent these to you in an email.

Please take care and reach out if you need to, we are here for you.  

Radius

Hi @destructive ...sorry you are in such a dark place. Therapy is really tough sometimes. 

I do think therapy is worth the struggle, as I've had quitre a lot of healing from it. It can be hard work though. 

Can you go back to your therapist and explain that sometimes she pushes you too hard? 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Mate I've never been a real therapist advocate as I've tried a couple and had the same experience as yourself.

I am thinking along the same lines as yourself as I'm not sure if I want to be here or not.

Honestly the only thing keeping me here is my grandkids.

I'm not sure how it will affect them.

Hang in there find something you love and use it as a crutch.

Not saying how long it will work for as I've just started this myself but hope it helps for you

Way I see it is, therapy is ideally a collaboration. I recently ran a mile from my therapist. Then, I tried searching for someone who was more what I was looking for (rather than the going with whatever the top of the G.P's list is). So far that's going ok. but we'll see. Think I found a better person. Maybe even now a better patient.

So you could do what I did, otherwise I'd say try and reconcile the dissonances with the current therapist (You never know. It could be the makings of a breakthrough).

I'd go with whatever decision feels like real recovery. None of us are supposed to be doing any of this alone.

Thank you all for being so honest in sharing your experiences with therapy. 

@Former-Member I'm sorry to hear that you're not sure if you want to be here or not. It's great that you've found something that might help. It sounds like you really love your grandkids.

I just wanted to encourage you to reach out to crisis support services if you are thinking about suicide. I don't know if you've called them before, but the following services offer support 24/7. You can also use their online chat options. 

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat
Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling
Samaritans: 135 247

And please keep posting around the Forums 🙂

@Radius  Thanks I have those numbers

@NatureLover  I wish I felt it was worth it. Feels like I'm just not good at it though. I think it could be me. I get to this point every time and something goes wrong, usually I get fired but this time maybe I need to move on. I don't know

@Former-Member sorry you have had bad experiences also. Mine are mostly that I get dumped. I have a break and then try again but repeats

@wellwellwellnez I think it's so hard for me to figure out when the problem is me, when it's the therapy, or if maybe this is the way it's meant to be. Then I waste years and get no where so I have no energy left to try again.

I was real thief hyped and out of it when I left. Can't exactly remember what happened but i do know she hasn't contacted me since which I feel hurt by. I feel like she either doesn't get how scared and unsafe I felt or just doesn't care. I guess it makes me sad cause I'd been maybe started feeling like maybe she was the one who could finally help me. 

@destructive wrote:

@NatureLover  I wish I felt it was worth it. Feels like I'm just not good at it though. I think it could be me. I get to this point every time and something goes wrong, usually I get fired but this time maybe I need to move on. I don't know

I'd been maybe started feeling like maybe she was the one who could finally help me. 

I think therapy is worth fighting for, if there's any doubt about it, which there obviously is, @destructive ... Therapists are hard to find, especially one that you feel might be able to help you in the long term. 

Wishing you the best of everything. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us