Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // The hidden job market // Fri. 21 April, 12pm AEST

@Tanoozle yes both options are still meaningful ways to look for employment within the hidden job market. I have had experience in both methods and had been successful both time. However, if opting for the cold call option it can be confronting to go through a number of rejections before someone asks you to come in for an interview.

@Former-Member it really does all seem like a total gamble doesn't it. I have been doing a volunteer gig one day a week for three years. I enjoy it, but it hasn't led to any sort of employment opportunities. I am contemplating maybe picking up one or two more one-day-a-week volunteer gigs just to add some more structure to my week. If money wasn't an issue, I think I could create a life worth living out of volunteering. However, sadly in our capitalist society, money is everything and the bank manager won't let me pay off my mortgage with altruistic values. Smiley Very Happy

@OstaraAust

I have had two horrendous experiences with DES providers. I have two university degrees - technically I am Phoenix_Rising B.A. B. Soc. Sci. (psych.) (honours - class 1). The DES providers simply did not seem to know how to fit together my education level and the nature of my muddle.

A big part of the issue is that I DON'T have any idea about what employment I may be interested in. During the 12 years I was at University, everyone just kept telling me not to worry about the future or that my degree would be useful in whatever I did. I had thought the DES providers would help me figure out what might be a good fit for me, but as I said, they seemed totally bewildered by the combination of my education and my mental health/neurodiversity issues. It was like they'd never encounted someone with a high level of education and issues that had led to a crisis situation (i.e. police, ambulance, workcover investigation) in the workplace before.

I do like your idea of networking online though. I have a linkdin account but haven't really engaged with it. I will play around with that idea. Smiley Happy

Sounds like keeping your ear to the ground and chatting to friends and ransoms is the way to go to tap the hidden market 🙂

thanks for the input and sharing, it's good to hear what's going on with others. I'm off now, Carer duties await!

There are a number of options to tap into the hidden job market. It is very beneficial to use our own networks such as family and friends for assistance but also consider mentioning to other people within the networks you belong to that you are searching for employment such as volunteer groups, your local church that you may attend, your child's sporting club and even your local milk bar shop owner who may have been speaking to for years. 

Other options can also include researchng into an organisation's career page on the company website. Reading blogs online about particular organisations can be useful to better understand their work culture and/or gain insight on how to gain employment. For example if you google 'working for airlines' you will come across a number of online posts and forums about employment opportunities.

@Phoenix_Rising i do agree with you that it can be difficult to know what job you like the most. we have many clients that are in a similar situation - they just not sure what jobs they would like. It may benefit to have a brainstorming session with a friend or even see a qualified career practitioner if DES did not suit you. One technique that has worked effectively with our clients in identifying which skills they enjoyed using such as customer service, organisation, computer, digitial etc. Then identify what your real passion and hobbies are for example animals, reading, gardening. By combing your skills and passions together, you will be able to brainstorm a number of employment opportunities to target and specifically access the hidden job market that way. 

As an example if one really enjoys the skills of customer service, being organised and digital technology and combine this with the passion of animals jobs that can exist are farm work, blogger, events coordinator for various animal shows, working at zoos or aquariums, safari guide and even a pet travel agent to name a few (yes it is a real job pet travel agent!). the list can be endless. 

Thank you to everyone for contributing to today's session. There are many employment opportunities within the hidden job market that can be explored. The most important is to find an avenue that suits your interest and what you may be comfortable with. Hidden job market includes:

• Asking your friends and family for employment opportunities
  • Through various volunteer groups
  • Joining groups online such as LinkedIn
  • Talking direct with recruiters
  • speaking to your local shop owners whom you have been going to for years
  • Company websites through their career page
  • Cold calling
  • Community groups
  • Attending career fairs
  • Paying attention to the type of business you may drive past or on your public transport route
  • and more

The more avenues you explore the higher the chances you can have but also create opportunities to learn more about specific job roles by connecting with likeminded people or groups which ever medium you choose. 

Hello @OstaraAust I missed today's chat. I have found an opportunity through friends. I'm hoping to get more hours when my health improves more. Today's chat is inspiring to know there are other options from the web sites.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us