Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday / 14 July 7pm AEST / Fear; What would you do if you weren't afraid?

My fear stems from uncertainty regarding the future and not being in a position to control what happens.

Re: Topic Tuesday / 14 July 7pm AEST / Fear; What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@happygirl I think our personalities perhaps can impact how we react to fear... some people in confrontation may use anger and say things they don't mean, while someone else may 'freeze' in the same situation.

Re: Topic Tuesday / Fear; What would you do if you weren't afraid? **NOW OPEN**

I don't know what the technical differences are between shyness and anxiety/fear, but it seems like maybe your mother and your studies are both things that really matter to you and that you might worry about "doing well enough" or meeting people's expectations..?

Has anyone heard of the Perception Gap?

I have suffered from fear from about the age of 4, i could never leave my parents side, i am 33 and have never spent a night away from them.  i don't know whhat initially triggered it, but i am so frightened that if i leave their side, something bad will happen to them or me.

no i have not heard of the perception gap

@soul - for me it's all about having some sense of control within any given environment. The less control or ability I have to determine what will occur - the more anxious I will generally become

Yes i have the same problem, the less control of a situation the more anxious

Even if I know I will do well in my studies I still fear it. Can't pinpoint why. With my mother I just fear her judgement. I know I will never be good enough for her but still I fear her words and actions.

If I don't achieve perfection I don't mind. As loong as I pass my studies that's good enough for me. 

That sounds like my sister and me 🙂 we get on really well, but we have had these habits of reacting to being anxious in those ways. Both of us sometimes freeze, hide from the world, but my sister is more likely to get angry and I am more likely to try and placate everyone.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us