Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's talk about Schizophrenia // Tues 25th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi Sandi that is something that I spoke to him about again tonight specifically looking to build relationships and friendships with people other than his family, which he acknowledges he needs to do. I have tried to find social options for people with lived experience as this may feel safer/no judgement, however haven't found anything.  Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's talk about Schizophrenia // Tues 25th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

That is beautiful

Goodness very keen to hear ideas
Thank you

hello @Eden1919@Mellymead@Mum1990@Schitzo@greenpea 

@Daisydreamer@Sandy1  this is really interesting to understand my cousin more and to elp others like my husband who is sure he has this 

My brain thinks Schizophrenia is a problem to solve and it uses every possible opportunity to try any scrap of information to progress towards a solution

Hi @Mellymead,

Thankyou for your question and sharing your experience Smiley Happy 

CBT has been developed for psychosis (CBTp) and it is an evidence-based treatment that can be provided individually or in a group setting. I'm curious what ideas specifically would you like to explore?

For me, exercise is the best way to lose those thoughts, focus on the body and get healthy again. I used to be an adventurous hiker before this, but after I was fainting 2-3 times a week. I manage to get back in shape by going to the gym, training and swimming. I have no thoughts, no voices in my head while exercising. 

There is a free 6 hour short course on schizophrenia for those who are keen to know more about the illness: https://www.coursera.org/learn/schizophrenia

Hi @Eden1919,

I take my medication the same time each night so I remember to take it. And at night so I sleep off the worst of the side effects.

I am wary of their potential side effects but choose to take them because I don't want to flirt with my sanity. Medication works for me. It's a personal thing.

@Sandy1 wrote:
  • I went from Sandy 'schizophrenia' to Sandy poet and it was transformative for me. To have a more positive label was an important station along my way. A creative life for me has been crucial to understanding and mitigating the effects of living with schizophrenia.

It sounds like you have been on a journey to redefine who you are, and that although Schizophrenia is a part of your life, it's not your identity. How we see ourselves and our identity is such a powerful thing Heart

Creativity is such a great form of expression, certainly something many people here on the forums share too

Q6: What are some of the key things that contribute to recovery?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us