Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let’s talk about systemic change: The Victorian Royal Commission // Tues 17th August, 7:00-8.30PM AEST

"Does your team at the big feels feel like more could be done to allow services to be done online?"

Hey @AussieRecharger 

A bunch of good questions there but I'll jump into this one for now. I definitely think more could be done online. That's where we do most of what we do via Big Feels Club.

I think for a long time mainstream services were a bit wary of this, because it was new, but we're seeing some really cool stuff starting to happen in this space. Things like these forums. But always I think, in the end, what really makes this stuff work isn't the tech, it's the people involved, which includes the people using the platforms and making the community happen.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let’s talk about systemic change: The Victorian Royal Commission // Tues 17th August, 7:00-8.30PM AEST

Question 1 for @BigFeelsClub 

a) What is The Royal Commission into Victoria's Mental Health System?

b) How did you come to be a witness with the Royal Commission? What was that experience like?

Hi @chibam  and @Kermit! Welcome to the discussion, those are great questions! Smiley Happy

Question 1 for the Community: What is your understanding of what the Royal Commission was? And have you been involved in a widescale review such as this before?

So we’ve known for a long time that our mental health system isn’t really fit for purpose. It’s too hard to get help, and even when you do, the help doesn’t always help.

After years of talking about this in Victoria (and trying various reform initiatives that didn't quite stick) we finally got a Royal Commission – basically a massive, independent review. It took two years. They talked to a whole lot of people across Victoria. People who’d had really bad experiences seeking help, people who’ve supported loved ones through a broken system.

Earlier this year, the Commission released their final report, which includes 74 recommendations for how we can change the system. It’s a complete overhaul.

And the cool thing? The Victorian government has already committed to enacting all 74 recommendations. So some pretty major changes are coming here in Vic over the next few years.

Great question @chibam, @BigFeelsClub or @floofycloud what are your thoughts on terminology?

b) How did you come to be a witness with the Royal Commission? What was that experience like?

I was asked to be a witness to the Royal Commission because of my work with The Big Feels Club, and my work as a consultant.

It was a strange process. At first, I wanted nothing to do with it! I was terrified they were going to stuff it up.

Mental health is really personal work, especially when you’ve been through this stuff yourself. When you put yourself out there to try to make change, and that change doesn’t happen, or it isn’t perfect? Well, it hurts. But that's not where I landed...

I hope that the recommendations and changes to come have an impact nationally @BigFeelsClub 

Also, @Kermit cost is a huge issue - good question.

So I wasn't sure whether to get involved.... But my girlfriend – mental health advocate Honor Eastly – was getting involved. And that convinced me to give them a chance.

I’m really glad I did. I spent far too many days writing my official witness statement – you can read a small extract here if you’re interested (plus see a cheesy photo of me! Bonus!). I basically gathered together every good idea I felt I’ve ever had about how things could be better, and gave it to them, thinking – ‘I wonder if anything will come of this?’

I then got asked to have a one-on-one chat with the Lead Commissioner, Penny Armytage. And you know what? I feel like I genuinely helped inform her thinking, particularly around the thing I care most about: carving out more spaces in this system for people with lived experience to be in charge.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us