Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // OCD from an insiders perspective // 1 Aug, 7pm AEST

I'm a granny and am falling asleep after a hard say (anxiety often leaves me exhausted) so am going to bed for ME - however thank you so much for having me tonight, has been a good first and hopefully not last - hoping I can help people out in the process - experience is knowledge

Hey NikNik,

One easy and effective strategy I use is to do the opposite of what my OCD is telling me.

i.e. the sun may damage my eye's therefore I go outside and just accept the discomfort

Thanks so much for taking part Katie0024

Wow @Tim_H that sounds like it would be really tough! Did you have to work your way up to being able to use that strategy?

I did NikNik. It is really hard to take this approach, however I got to a point where my OCD was that bad I simple had to 'challenge' it. Or face the illness taking my life over entirely

Another approach I use is modelling or trying to work out what somebody without OCD might do in the same situation. Then doing that and trying to tolerate the anxiety

Hey guys , it was awesome listening to you all. I am a young mum and my baby girl needs me at the moment. I will come back tomorrow to read the rest of the session. I thank you all for such an informative and expressive chat 🙂

You're welcome @kerrys looking forward to seeing you in the Forums again soon!

I think once you start to challenge the OCD and see that it actually works it motivates you to persist. As one thing is for sure it's extremely unlikely to improve naturally, in fact it normally gets worse

Hi @Tim_H

Those strategies sound really hard! Did you learn them through a psychologist / mental health professional or did you do your own research?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us