Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // OCD from an insiders perspective // 1 Aug, 7pm AEST

@kerrys - I have treatment through medication at the moment as I have other things needing to be worked on first. Plus the OCD has really been pushed aside from the beginning really. (I'm also hesitant about furthering treatment in the scope as it involves facing the very thing that makes you most anxious so to enter treatment is an enormous, brave yet crucial step to get better. By moving out of home from my parents and living independently in a mental health rehab community care unit, I have managed to mingle my compulsions into my day to day life, which helps the mental torment as I'm basically doing 'what I'm told', but it makes me anxious being in an environment that doesn't have the same "safety-ness" as being at my current 'home'

@Tim_H wrote:

Hi kerrys,

I can't recall any significant events. I'm sure there's a strong genetic component as both my parents are highly anxious and strict.

One thing to note though is my first major 'obsession' was that I might be a sinner. So being at a Catholic primary school most likely triggered that

Similar experience here @Tim_HMy church became very evangelical just before my first symptoms of OCD came, and that was all about how I would probably end up in Hell, It was terrifying

For me, probably having a perfectionistic personailty + dad being a bit more on the side of a neat / control freak - But the trigger basically was when mum had cancer for the 2nd time and I got OCD and depression to begin with

Also I've found with any stressors the OCD 'symptoms' can vary & fluctuate randomly just as life goes on - so one needs to be able to deal with those situations more carefully & treatment acquired

@Ngunjima 

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. 

After having read yours, @Tim_H and @Katie0024 experiences with the actual thought process it seems like the thoughts feed on the element of fear. Fear of losing a loved one, being a sinner, being unclean, being a psychopath, or not being good enough. 

May I ask, has anyone of you asked yourselves what would happne if you challenged this fear? Of course what I am asking is a huge task because that menas standing up to the devil inside, but have you done that? And if yes, then what happened? What was your brain's reaction when you realised that your thoughts, although they may not ever leave you, do not rule you?

Hey Katie0024,

Well done on moving out of home, that's a huge step. Exposure or facing your fears/obessive thoughts is something I still struggle with everyday. But I can say that if you manage to do it the OCD will really improve

It sounds like there's some cross overs between members on the professional supports they have used. What about strategies that you use @Tim_H? What do you all find helpful and/or unhelpful?

@kerrys

I think I very much go into basically like a denial, as I 'believe' the consequences would way out weigh the challenging - It's almost hard to even consider challenging a behaviour 1) because it becomes so much of a habit/ritual/behavior and also 2) the amount of anxiety that comes even when considering changing it

May I add to my comment, that (and I hope that I am not offending anyone by saying this) religion feeds on fear as well. 'If you didn't listen to God you will go to Hell". 

I wonder if the onset of OCD is the compultion of fitting in, or not being casted out ... ?

The exposure therapy certainly helps. But it helps by reducing the anxiety or need to perform the compulsion (the thought normally persists)

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us