Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi SANE Forums Community 👋

This fortnight we are excited to welcome a special guest from the SANE Peer Support Team @HappyCastle! 🎉 On the 11th of May we will be talking about all things peer support!

What peer support is and why it's great (1).png

The role of peer support in recovery:

Peer support is all about sharing experiences and building supportive relationships with others who understand what you are going through because they have been there before.

Often peers are in the best position to be a support to each other because they have skills, strengths and knowledge learnt from the experiences of living with mental health concerns or from caring for a family member or friend. The insights that you have can be of benefit to others when they are provided in a space that allows for shared learning. It's a two way street that allows all people to learn and grow with peers. 

Over the last 12 months, SANE has been growing the focus on peer support with the introduction of peer workers into the forums, and new peer support programs. @HappyCastle is here to answer your questions about peer support, and explore why peer support is an important part of the recovery journey for thousands of Australians. 

Please join us here on Tuesday the 11th of May 2021 from 7:00pm-8:30pm AEST to follow this conversation. 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

108 REPLIES 108

Re: Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi forums community,

This live discussion is about to start in 25 minutes! 😊 

Tagging all members who have supported this post @Teej @Jayneinpain @HappyCastle @jm444 @Doreen @Adge @QueenieMcQ @sadpisces @Shaz51 @Supportive @Ophelia @Luckymoo @CrazyChick @Mazarita @bonnygirl @Rtcht @greenspace @Emelia8 @Peri @Former-Member @Judi9877 @Olga @TideisTurning @bipolarbunny @Former-Member @Zoe7 @Snowie @bluey1 @Bezak482 @Appleblossom 

We hope to see you there! For those who are joining Topic Tuesday for the first time, you can also check out the How To guide for Topic Tuesday to learn more about how to get involved

Re: Topic Tuesday // What peer support is and why it's great // Tues 11th May, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Also tagging members online who might be interested in joining- you are more than welcome to 🙂 

@Bellarose75 @BlueBay @Former-Member @Former-Member @Eden1919 @HenryX @Jacques @Last-Lament @Longingtobelong @MySunrise @Smc @TAB @gklim @greenpea @saltandpepper 

Hey everyone! I'll be joining tonight too; I'm excited for the conversation 😊

Thank you. Looking forward to it 🙂 

Welcome everyone to our Topic Tuesday on Peer Support! We are excited to welcome @HappyCastle as our special guest tonight who will be bringing knowledge from years of experience in peer work, and passion for supporting others.

You may have met @HappyCastle around the forums! We are also joined tonight by @Former-Member who will be here to offer support and share their incredible insights as well 🙂 

Without further ado, let’s get started!

For @HappyCastle and everyone following this discussion tonight: Would you like to introduce yourself and what you are hoping to get from the discussion tonight?

This discussion may cover topics such as wellbeing, recovery and mental health. If you are feeling distress at any time during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can start a new discussion on the forums and talk to other members, contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here.

Hi @Longingtobelong and welcome! Happy to have you here

Thanks for the tag, @Daisydreamer. Have something else happening tonight, so won't be available.

Hi everyone. HappyCastle here, you may have seen me floating around the forums  😊 I'm really happy to be able to talk about peer support tonight as it is my absolute passion.

I have been working in the mental health peer support world for over 5 years now and have worked in the areas of youth, LGBTIQA+ and suicide prevention and believe so strongly in the power of peer work. 

I’m looking forward to answering any questions you might have and sharing my love of peer work with you tonight!

hello @Daisydreamer@Smc@Longingtobelong , @Former-Member Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us