Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Re: Your feedback needed: Updating our forum categories

I’m all for simple language and calling it what it is…. It helps me and others to navigate (safely) and clearly around our needs. I don’t see an issue with there being ‘too many’ categories in this regard

It is apparent that a lot of thought, time and effort has gone into the initial suggested categories and I really appreciate the clear explanations given throughout this thread as supporting reasons for the suggested categories.

Likewise I very much appreciate the different concerns expressed by those who have contributed throughout this thread, I share some of these concerns (being an infrequent contributor and a late comer to this topic). 

As someone who has not used the SANE forums in a long time nor having ever been a prolific contributor I would pretty much consider myself almost a ‘newcomer’ to the forums. 

I’m all for simple language and calling it what it is…. It helps me and others to navigate (safely) and clearly around our needs. In this regard I don’t see an issue with there being ‘too many’ categories. It aids in avoiding reading the so called trigger topics and feeling comfortable with what I’m posting and where.

The suggested categories would actually encourage me to post (contribute) because of the clear language that aids in directing me towards the appropriate discussion group and in particular the very initial sense of what I may expect in that group. To know from the outset that I can ‘freely’ talk or read about SI or past traumas (for example) because they already stated as a ‘place to post’ is more welcoming than the current categories because you’ve already broken down some barriers to what I otherwise may expect to be reading and contributing to. 

Breaking down barriers to aid anyone being introduced to a potential resource for creating a better future for self is critical stuff….   Again ~ I really like the language in what is suggested.

I really like that posts may be redirected towards more appropriate discussion groups ~ I wasn’t aware of this. I’m sure that when you ‘move’ a post it is done with clear reasoning and everyone’s best interests at heart.

On the topic of combining the LEx and carer forums I do have some concerns which I will put in a separate reply as you may wish to ‘moderate’ my thoughts

I can see the reasoning behind ‘merging’ the lived experience forum with the carer forum if the latter isn’t being accessed as readily.

I have to admit I was not aware previous to reading this thread that both forums were open and accessible to ‘all’ members of either community and am a little perturbed to learn that this has always been the case.

If had I been utilising these forums more frequently I feel that it could have led to my discussion topics being easily observed by loved ones who may have misconstrued or even used my conversations to gaslight me.

I understand that inevitably it is probably nigh on impossible to separate the ability to ‘read’ either forum but the sense of being amidst a peer led, moderated discussion in itself provides a safety to speak of things I otherwise may not if I was clearly aware that I was potentially able to be identified by loved ones.

Some of the most hurtful things that have occurred in my journey involved those who have been closest to me (moreover unintentionally - nonetheless)

Apologies if I’ve overstated my concerns re separation of carer / lived experience forums and further apologies for not having previously realised the current level of accessibility to discussions in these forums. 

Having over 8 years of (previously) worked in the lived experience ‘peer support’ role in the mental health sector for both NGO’s and community mental health in the public hospital system it has been my experience that the carer ‘peer support’ role have had greater levels of group engagement in the community than is commonly found among people who are experiencing mental ill health. Mental ill health is pretty much by definition a psychosocial disability. Perhaps THIS is the place where ‘we’ (the LEx’s) connect whilst carers connect more readily in their local communities. 

Now I guess I’m potentially really overstating my concerns re the merging of forums but I feel it needs to be said that we should not overlook the importance of the sense of safety and non-judgement in a peer led, moderated forum as the very reason why a newcomer feels welcome to join in and speak their own truth. 

I have read the posts and do get the sense that people are not comfortable with such a large change - and that's to be expected. In dealing with mental illness the last thing you want is the familiar to change on you. Change is an uncomfortable beast for most people. But it can be good and you will find a new rhythm and a pattern to posting in the new forum. 

But, can I share that as someone who is new to the forums, the current naming is quite "wishy washy." The categories are not clear in where you should post about trauma, versus personality disorders, versus suicidality. The naming suggests you post more based on the severity of the presenting symptoms - welcome (new), looking after ourselves (doing okay but still need support) and something's not quite right (not doing well). The new naming gives a place for the mental health issue and also the severity (i.e. S/SH).

I'm not well versed enough about the frequency of carer posts. I think some people will have the confidence to post in the forums, while others will be looking for a "carer" specific area to avoid intruding on the LEx space.

With the naming, it all made sense to me. I'm not sure of the wording "problem free" in social-chat. It sounds a bit judgmental. While "resilience" initially stuck out to me. But I can't think of a better word to describe that end of the journey. It just feels mucky to go from trauma to resilience in one giant leap. But having something recovery-orientated is good.

Lastly love having a forum for advocacy and policy discussion. When I first joined the forums I thought it was about "Lived Experience" as opposed to people living with experience of mental illness (and there would be a forum for this). The Lived Experience space is growing and a space where people with complex-mental ill health can end up recovering to work in. Let's have a space for change.

Thank you for your feedback tonight @ZeldaReturns . Very much valued. It's harder for people like me who are so used to the forums and where everything is. But for someone to come in and share this information, it's invaluable. Thank you!

Hello @espressologic 

I totally promise I'll reread all this as it's kind of gone through one brain slot and flown out  ATM. 

But my thoughts are essential posts - 

Grieving 

Smoking cigarettes

Also just to let you know, iv had a major head  injury and I just don't have the witherall 

To go to carers from Lived experience. 

I love my buddies on the lighthearted parts of lived experience. 

However sometimes like every 8 weeks or so remember there's people wanting a reply on something I might vaguely have some tiny knowledge in like - schizophrenia. Not much .....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us