Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Kriss
Contributor

What should I do?

Okay okay, quick context i'm planning to do somatic therapy, or EMDR or any sort of embodied processing eventually.

However, i'm also still in the traumatic environment that got me to this point.

Recently, family has had a bit of a...interesting melting point thanks to my brother so hopefully it's taking a direction to the better but it'll take awhile. (And i still have doubts considering the amount of times it gets better then worse then better and that screwed up my trust a little.)

I wanna process this. I wanna move on. I don't want to have the fear in my body halting me, or the unnecessary pains.

But I'm wondering if it's better for me to try this when i'm out of this house first. 

Originally i planned to just go on with interpersonal building with my psychologist and other things, and then process it when i'm out but if it might get better, should I just go for it?

I'm just scared since i've heard it can be rough? Though i guess that depends, and well, I don't mind going through it, it's more that i don't wanna worsen it.

I got no clue.

Any thoughts?

1 REPLY 1

Re: What should I do?

Hi @Kriss 

I have been doing EMDR with my psych for some time now. It does help but it is very tiring and draining on me. I come out of the sessions very tired and sometimes quite triggered!

Recently I have had a relapse and have been in hospital. We have stopped EMDR for now to get me back to a "stable" place so we can continue with it when I am ready. 

I really think to try EMDR things need to be stable around you. You need to have the coping tools to deal with the aftermath. I wouldn't want you to start it and then find out that you were not in the right headspace to be able to process it all.

This of course is just my take on it and my opinion/experience. It might be completely different for you. I hope this helps.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Talk to us today

For more information, contact us on 1300 779 270 or make an enquiry now.

Contact us